The Journey Home

Friday, April 22, 2011

Learning Lessons in the Midst of Waiting

If there's one thing I know for sure about myself, it's that I'm not good at waiting.  I know that since becoming a daughter of the King, however, my heavenly Daddy wants me to learn while in the midst of waiting and even (GULP) to learn to be patient and trust Him.  I'm now convinced that this waiting is for my own good.  (Do you have any, ANY idea how hard that was for me to type???!)  I haven't updated this blog for a long time because I felt that I had nothing new to report, and quite honestly I've been in a funk the past three weeks.  Who wants to read a blog written by a woman who's hope was waning and was quickly losing her joy?  Not me, and I can honestly tell you that I didn't like being that woman.  I started talking with the Lord about it, and guess what He told me?  Not even kidding.  "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Share with God's people who are in need.  Practice hospitality."  And again, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  My joy was dependent on my circumstances, and at the first sign of difficulty I could feel it slipping away.  I can be demonstratively JOYFUL in the midst of these circumstances.  Why?  Because I can trust that my God will bring Abbi home and the story of how He does it will be something that we will tell to our children and they will tell it to theirs.  I can smile knowing that His faithfulness is great, and that He cares even more about the plight of the orphan than we do.  I can laugh out loud when I think of how He is changing this chronically impatient woman into one who bears the fruit of patience.  Do I want Abbi home with us?  You bet I do.  Do I have to be honest with the Lord and sometimes cry in His presence as the prospect of waiting even longer for her looms over us?  Yep.  Can I ask Him to replace my spirit of despair with a garment of praise?  According to Isaiah 61:3 I can.  And I will.  I'll wait patiently on my Lord, and learn to praise Him in the wait.     

No comments:

Post a Comment