The Journey Home

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Thoughts...

Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mommies out there, and also to the women who are waiting for children but are already Mommies in their hearts.  I do pray a blessed and relaxed day over each one of you.  This morning, the Lord woke me up at 4:00 a.m. to pray for a friend.  I did pray and fell back to sleep, only to be awake again at 5:00 with the same thought:  Pray for your friend.  Now, I don't know what all of that's about, but I've learned over the years to trust the Spirit's leading and do what He tells you to do, when He tells you to do it!  After praying, I got up in my dark and very quiet house, made some coffee, got settled into my "quiet time chair" (as my children call it) with my dog, and spent some time with the Lord.  What I heard from Him was very eye-opening for me.  Before I begin, I need you to understand that I am not against holidays by any stretch of the imagination.  As a matter of fact, they give me a great excuse to cook up some food and enjoy time with friends and family.  This year, though, has been tough, and I found myself thinking this morning about Mother's Day.  What did I want to do (or NOT do!) today?  What do I hope to "get", both emotionally and physically?  Didn't I kind of deserve this day?  

I have to preface this part by telling you a little bit about yesterday and a lesson I was helping my third-born daughter to learn.  Her younger sister got a beautiful headband for her birthday, and big sis wanted to wear it.  Little sis, however, was having none of it.  "It's mine, and I just got it!"  she told us.  Third-born retorts with, "I let you use my bike yesterday, so you should let me wear you headband!!"  I sat down with her and explained that she should have allowed little sis to ride the bike out of the kindness of her heart, not expecting anything in return.  She made it sound like she was entitled to wear the headband. 

Well, this morning, the Lord helped me to see that I was doing the same thing.  I was feeling "entitled."  What I heard Him whisper to me was that I should love and serve my family out of the kindness of my heart, out of love for my Jesus and to bring Him glory, not expecting anything in return.  There is not a thing wrong with celebrating mothers.  I accepted the well-wishes of other moms at church today.  I received sweet homemade cards from my kids.  I squirmed and blushed over the praises of my handsome man.  The Lord just helped my heart to be in the right place as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment